It's estimated that 40 billion plastic utensils are used every year in the United States. Single-use plastic utensils are a huge bummer. They may be inexpensive to make and convenient to use; however, what we aren't factoring in is their cost on the environment. Remember, plastic does not biodegrade; it photodegrades into tinier pieces which are called micro-plastics. Plant based plastic utensils are a step in the right direction; however, they are still single-use and require lots of resources to make. We can reduce the amount of virgin plastics being manufactured and keep them out of our oceans and landfills by simply refusing to use them!
What We Can Do:
- Get ourselves a set of reusable utensils (metal or bamboo)
- Bring our utensils with us so we are prepared--how convenient!
- Be one step ahead of ourselves by leaving a set of utensils at work and in our car, in case we forget.
- Take care and keep track of our utensils, like we do our wallet, keys and phone
- Everything tastes better without plastic!